This corn salad is so easy to throw together and tastes so delicious. I love sweet corn season! When I came up with this recipe, I had already eaten several buttered and salted ears of corn on the cob, so I wanted to do something different with the remainder of my ears.
I also had just plucked some cherry tomatoes from my garden, along with some fresh basil. It’s always fun to make meals/side dishes when you see what you have to work with and then try to create something delicious from what you have. I also had parsley in my garden so I used some of that. I did not have cilantro this time, but have made it with that before and loved it. That’s what’s great about this corn salad – it’s adaptable. You can improvise and it still tastes delicious!
Active-ist for your health,
Simple Corn Salad
- 5 ears Sweet corn
- 1/2 Red onion, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup Diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup Chopped fresh basil (can substitute cilantro or parsley, or use a mix of all)
- 1/4 cup Olive oil
- 2-3 tbsp Red wine vinegar
- 1/2-1 tsp Salt, to taste
- Place a small amount of water in a large saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Place the husked ears of corn in the water for about 2 minutes flipping the ears so they evenly cook.
- Rinse with cold water (this stops the cooking process).
- After the ears have cooled enough to handle, cut the kernels off the cob and place in large bowl. See note.
- Add the diced red onion, tomatoes and herbs to the corn.
- Drizzle olive oil over the mixture until evenly covered and then add in the red wine vinegar.
- Add 1/2- 1tsp of salt to taste and gently stir until all the ingredients are evenly distributed.